Sunday, January 7, 2007

I feel like i'm stuck in an episode of Lost!

Ok, I worked around the christmas holidays, and while most of my other military co-workers had off guess who was sitting at work?

Bingo!!

ME!

While I could puff out my chest and march about like a warrior, not caring that only I got shafted out of all of my co-workers.. why should I not get to take days off? So, my Boss gives me 'comp time' so I will feel special and just like everybody else.

However, Everytime I try to use this damn time, I have to work. This weekend for instance, I get a call at 9am, "hey man, where are you?".

Me: " Umm.. sleeping? Who are you and where are YOU?"

airman X: "hey, it's me. i'm covering for you... you're supposed to be at work."

This will be the 3rd weekend in a row that i've worked...when I know for damn sure that noone else has. Because i've been working them.

So I toss on my least wrinkled uniform, toss combat boots on and head to work. This was supposed to be my 'holiday break'. but no. I feel like Dante from clerks "i'm not even supposed to be here today!".

Ok.. whine fest over.

This job.. do you know what it entails?? Are you PREPARED for your mind to be boggled?! I don't think you are. i'll give you a few minutes, then you can read the next line. ok. go.

welcome back.
I sit here, at the watch desk over a weekend, and I watch a bunch of phones. Yup. Once an hour it rings. I pick up and say ... "Hello? ok. " and that's it. Yet if I don't do this, Aliens will destroy the planet and all manner of bad things happen. Just like onthe show Lost.

I am so proud to be serving my country... answering this phone.. writing in this blog.. I just can't put it into words. I know that all of my advanced technical training really paid off every time I pick up that phone.

It's not a hard job.. you just have to be near the phone. but i've done everything here.. read books, read blogs...start this blog, practiced guitar, done college homework, written songs, studied for my next promotion test ..and only one of those is anywhere close to what i'm trained to do.

at least i'm getting paid....

uh oh..phone is ringing... i better get it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.